It's been a long year!

To recap the last 10 months; It sucked!

I ended 2016 with such a high, completing my first 100 miler; 30 days later I PR'd my half marathon distance, but then all just crumbled. 

After Celebration Half Marathon in late January, I decided to take on my first pacing gig with Super Pacers at Tomoka Marathon March 25th. I was so excited to help a group of runners achieve their personal goals. I was pacing the 4:50 group, a comfortable pace for me at the time. I was nervous, it was huge responsibility, and I didn't want to let them down. 

However, not everything in life is guaranteed. Shit happens and it did to me! I was strong the first 20 miles, I was on target the entire time. As we entered the park, there was gravel, I am not sure what happened (just plain clumsiness) but I took a nasty stumble. I was able to catch myself from face planting, but I was not able to shake it off. I tried, but I felt a twinge on my ankle, desperation set in, and it was over. Those last 6 miles all I kept thinking "I will never be allowed to pace again. Who the heck trips and falls? Me of course!!"

I won't bore you with any more details, just that I finished. in 5:27:50. I crossed the finish line is tears and disappointed. It wasn't my day.




Sabrina Seher owner of the Super Pacers gave me a hug and told me I did great and not to worry. Then several of the runners from my group came up to me to thank me for encouraging them those first 20 miles. I apologized over and over but they were not even concerned that I failed them but making sure I was okay. I love the running community.  I felt much better and eventually got over it ;-) 

Or did I? 
I decided to take a little break and rest. April and May I ran a combined total of 89 miles. In the meantime, I signed up for Detroit Free Press Marathon as my goal race. I was determined to set a personal record and get closer to that 4 hour mark because eventually my ultimate goal is to qualify for the Boston Marathon. My best time of 4:20:04 was set in Chicago October 2016.  But I am not running, "what's wrong with me?" I kept telling myself, "It's okay Diane, come June you will bounce right back" 

But by June I had gained almost 20 lbs. I took an amazing 15 day family vacation, I came back dreading the word "RUN" I had all these emotions. I was upset that I not been running, disappointed that I let myself gain weight after I had worked so hard to lose it and just sad that I had all these goals and felt I was letting them go down the drain.

Toledo, Spain

During my vacation I read the Hanson's Marathon Method. It's a very aggressive plan, but if I wanted to get faster, I would have to work hard for it. So I decided to challenge myself and follow the plan.


I was running 6 days a week; averaging 40 to 50 miles a week, peaking at 60+. Speed training, tempo runs, something I was definitely not use to. It was pretty exhausting trying to manage my marriage, my kids, my job, sleep, eat, and train! Not sure how Monica does it.. hands down to her!! I was hanging by a thread, doing the best I could. Did I mention this summer by far was the worst ever! The heat and humidity definitely wore me down. I ran most the time by effort and try not to focus so much on pace. 

But with 6 weeks left of training HURRICANE IRMA happened! Hardest training week, no power for a week, little sleep and still getting up to run at 4 am. I felt like someone suck the life out of me! I was completely drained and unmotivated. Once the power was back I thought life would get back to normal but now my heart is heavy; HURRICANE MARIA is about to strike and cause the worse destruction ever to the Island of Puerto Rico. All I can think of was my mom and dad! For days not hearing from them was the worst feeling ever. I cried for days, cried while I ran, my heart was broken watching the news. I felt helpless. I barely got through week 14 and by week 15 I only ran 6.5 miles and I was off to Puerto Rico for 32 hours.

LOVE YOU MOM & DAD!

I thank God everyday that they were safe and I was able to see them, even if it was for that short amount of time. I thank all my friends and family for donating food, supplies and money to help them, my aunt & cousin and several of the neighbors. To my pilot angel who helped fly two suitcases full of food and supplies before I was able to travel. 
I felt a little more at ease. But not so happy having to leave them in those conditions. My worries will not end until they have power and water is restored and the Island gets all the help is needs. 

Now what?

The possibility of a personal record was far gone. My heart was not there. I was okay with it. No matter what I was going to run my best, enjoy every second of it!! And I did!! I ran with my heart, I ran for Puerto Rico! Detroit was amazing. Running over the Ambassador Bridge into Windsor Canada is definitely a memorable experience, then leaving Canada through the 1-mile under water Detroit-Windsor Tunnel was WOW pretty freaking cool!!

I Love These Ladies


#IRUN4PUERTORICO

The best part I got to share this experience with my two close friends and running partners Stacy,  Cynthia and our pimp, Armando (lmao, inside joke #SmaPimp)

I got ahead of myself, let's back track before race day. I was worried that I would not make it through entire race in one piece since I only got through one 16 miler on 8/27 & an 18 miler on 9/10. So for 5 weeks, the longest run I did was a 10 miler and I had skipped the rest of my speed and tempo sessions. I think what saved me was that I was still able to average right on or under 40 miles a week for 5 weeks, except for the one week I only ran 6.5 miles. Most average marathon training plans won't go over 40 miles a week until race week. So there was hope. I had the training however, I just knew that racing it would not be the smart thing to do or even attempt. 

Race morning it was 68 degrees and 70-80% humid. Not the weather I was hoping for. Once the race started, it got hot pretty quickly. I felt great until mile 13-14 until I started to have some stomach cramps, thankfully they didn't last long. I had a few demons in my head telling me to quit halfway through; "Diane, no one will judge you if you just accept the half marathon medal" I almost gave in! Shut the Fuck up!! I am no quitter!! Lucky for me the 4:30 pacer came up behind me and I stood with her until about mile 18.

There was a cold front approaching along with some thunder storms. We were warned if there was any lightning within a 7 mile radius of the race it would be cancelled. "oh boy let's get moving" the winds were picking up, they had to have been at least 30 mph head winds. Barricades were moving. Almost lost my hat a few times. But I kept strutting along, taking live Facebook videos and posting pictures. Also praying the storms would stay away. It was very cloudy and now it was getting cold.

My pace had slowed down. I tried to keep it under 11 mm, I felt good, comfortable but my hammy's were not happy. If I could just finish under 5 hours I'd be a happy momma. And that I did!
Detroit Free Press Marathon
I crossed that finish line elated and proud, with an official time of 4:49:19 (11:03 avg pace)



So, it's been three weeks since my marathon. My mom finally got her power restored yesterday
November 6th. I guess it's time I re-focus on those goals I set up for myself early this year;
  • Continue speed training
  • Add hill training
  • Run more trails
  • Chase sub-2 half marathon distance (hopefully at Shark Bite January 2018)
  • PR marathon April 2018 (Newport, RI)
  • Weigh 130 lbs by the goal below
  • Run my 2nd 100 miler by summer June 2018 Kettle 100 in Wisconsin WHYYYYYY?



Aggressive enough? Lol they are just goals, timelines, whatever you want to call it. If it happens, yay, if it doesn't I won't stop trying. I am 46 years old, in a million years I thought I be a running maniac. I love every second of it. I am grateful for the friends I made along the way. And I hope I can teach my kids to never give up on their goals no matter how many times they fail. Keep trying!

Comments

Popular Posts