PR Anyone?

Short & Sweet!!

I have been chasing a sub-2 half for the last year and half. My fastest half marathon was February 1, 2015 at the Melbourne Music Marathon; 2:08:14. Such a great day, but then I gained about 30 lbs and I was done.
Melbourne Music Marathon 2/01/2015
A year later to be exact, right after my 100K February 6, 2016, I was on a mission to regain my sexy, lose all the weight I gained during ultra training, and get faster!! 2016 will be my year!! I just knew I had it in me, I set out to PR in every distance. Mission Accomplished!! 5K, 10K & Marathon PR's.

Trail Blazer 5K 25:58 4/23/2016

Remarkable River Series 10k 56:41 6/12/2016

Chicago Marathon 4:22:12 10/09/2016

However, due to my 100 mile training and conflicts of schedule, I was unable to fit in a half marathon. During Chicago, I ran very strong, my half split was 2:07:12 (automatic PR) at marathon pace! So I just knew that I could crush my goal.

Well, no half PR "It's ok Diane, just do it after your 100" Lol. As if!! Pshhh. But before we do, let's PR at this 5K once again!! A week before Pistol, 25:28!! Super excited! One step closer to you know what 😤

Stress Buster 5K 12/24/2016



2nd Place AG 45-49; missed 1st by 1 second! Lol




So I ran my 100.. I recovered pretty quickly.. so I think I did. I was already registered for Shark Bite Half 2 weeks after my 100, however, I was not going to attempt to race it but I needed to know how well I recovered.. hmmmm not so well. Lol 2:38:37; I could not even keep up with my pregnant friend, smh.. needless to say, I could not keep up with any of my friends..but I managed to finish and tell myself I will not be able to PR anytime soon.


Shark Bite Half Marathon 1/14/2017
For the next 2 weeks, I continued to rest, yoga, and added a few easy runs. But I still had the itch!! I felt like I wasn't running enough, so why not run a marathon! Celebration Marathon & Melbourne Music Marathon were my choices, in my head ("I can do both"). A few days before Celebration, I stalked their page and found people trying to sell their bibs. Wow, I got a great deal!! Best deal was the RD would transfer, no questions asked and drum roll..... also upgrade to marathon for no additional fee!! "Ohh I can run this" PR again? 26.2? Thank God I still have some sense in me, and decided to stick to the half and make someone else run their first marathon 😂😂😂😂 Lol poor Gillian!! (by the way she killed it).

Well, now I had to decide what pace I would start? should I really try to PR 29 days after I ran 100 miles? sighhh!! what's the worse that can happen? if it doesn't feel right just back off. So 1:57 pacer was it! Best part Jennifer Lockrem was the pacer and Kirsty Boyer would also be running same pace.. so their you go.. two great runners to motivate me to run my ass off!!

January 29, 2017, cold and raining! hmmm this will be fun! Hey it's not a 100, I can handle 13.1. I had my rain poncho, my buff, and my gloves. I was ready!! On you mark, get set, GOOOOO!! It didn't take long to realize, I was not going to be able to hold on to her pace. My heart rate was off the charts. I took deep breaths trying to control it. By mile 2, I stripped the poncho off, by mile 3, gloves came off. I was pretty warm, yeah 8:57 pace.. that would definitely do it. I didn't stop though. I kept moving.

By mile 4, my stomach began to hurt a bit so I decreased my pace just a bit but I refused to walk. Now my focus was on the 2 hour mark. By mile 6 the 2 hour pacer had caught up to me. I hung out with them until mile 8. I had them within a 10th of mile sight until about mile 9. Even though my legs felt great, my body felt a little tired. I just kept talking myself a mile at a time, "hold on Diane" I knew I wouldn't hit the 2 hour mark, but I could still have a huge PR. I just needed to hang on a little longer. AND I DID!! by mile 12 my hands were cold again, so wet gloves back on. I smiled for the photographer at mile 12.5ish..

Yes!!! I am almost there! 

I knew I had my PR!! 
I came around that bend super excited and happy knowing I was going to PR!! My sub-2 didn't matter now, I still ran strong! I crossed that finish-line as if I hit my goal!! PROUD & HAPPY!! 2:03:06!!! 5 minute PR!!

2:03:06
I won't stop chasing my goals! Sub-25 5K is next!! Very soon, stay tuned!


Comments

Popular Posts